FAQ 

---------
Post FAQ
Hi folks,

Here are the frequently asked questions, and hopefully answers you can use.

a1. Can I turn advertising off?
Sorry, advertising pays for the service. We only show minimal advertising for logged-in users, and more advertising for unregistered users.

a2. How can I turn my forum off (delete the forum)?
A forum cannot be deleted, however it can be turned off, which means it will display a message of your choice, and no one else can post to it. This way, you can always turn it back on when you are ready :)

Here is the procedure:
At bottom of the forum pages, click on "Admin Control Panel" (ACP)
then on the left bar, click on 'Board Settings'.
Then click on "Disable Boards". Type a message (which visitors will see) in the text box, and check the Yes radio button
Click on "submit" at the bottom.

a3. Can I upload mods, themes, FTP to my forum?
No, you cannot do any of the above. If you need such features, you really should look at getting your own forum set up. For security and stability reasons, we cannot provide any of the above.

a4. I want to set up another forum but my email is already taken!
You can only use your email once for setting up a new forum. Please consider signing up for a free email system (e.g. gmail). This is the easiest way to get a new email address, and from "settings" in the gmail account, you can forward all the email back to your main email if you wish.

a5. I did not receive my activation email!
Please check your spam inbox first. If you cannot find the email, please try registering with another email address. Contact us please if all else fails.

a6. A feature does not seem to work (received error message) - What to do?
Report at Your localized support forum (if Your language does not exist, use the English support board), or contact us (ENGLISH only please).
Please give us as many details as possible, including error message and which feature You tried to use.

a7. A feature does not seem to work (without error message) - What to do?
Report at Your localized support forum (if Your language does not exist, use the English support board), or contact us (ENGLISH only please).
Please give us as many details as possible, at least which feature used.

a8. Some features does not work, are they disabled?
Some features are shown, but is managed outside Your forum.
Which means that only webmaster can change them, because they're standard for all forums.

Some of them are:
  • Ability to disable and add templates/themes ("Themes" tab). *
  • Disable and edit/modify bots. *
  • Bots permissions. **
  • Allow "Disable word censor" **
  • Maximum links per message (Managed by our A.S.S. (Anti Spam System) and is centralized - affects all boards). **
  • Allowing guest posting (not allowed) **
* Not visible on forums.
** Visible but not makes no difference.

a9. Please remove a banned word. I never added it to my forum.
We have a set of system-wide banned words, which affect all forums. You can set up your additional banned words, but you cannot remove any banned words that are already programmed (note: system-wide banned words do not show in your ACP). Centralized banned words are there to prevent spamming our network.

a10. Problems with permissions, posting to forum, etc.
Visit this post by former Forums-Free.com webmaster:

a10a. Confused about forum admin?
This is a good tutorial.

a11. Anonymous Access
For spam control reasons, when users are not logged in (anonymous access) they may not see avatars, signatures, images and attachments. Selected avatars that are moderated by FF admins, may show. Of course, when users login, they will see all of those.

a12. I forgot my password
Try this link to retrieve your password: http://FORUMNAME.forums-free.com/ucp.php?mode=sendpassword
replace FORUMNAME with the name of your forum

a13. Install a chatbox
See how to install a chatbox by xupaulo.

a14. Install a New Theme
Admin Control Panel > Board Setting > Default Style

List incomplete.

Quick link to this page, English FAQ : http://faq.forums-free.com

Quick link to Portuguese FAQ : http://faq.suporte.forums-free.com

Quick link to Romanian FAQ : http://suport.forums-free.com/intrebari ... -t496.html

Quick link to Spanish FAQ : http://faq.soporte.forums-free.com/

Contributors:
Mikkel Trebbien
xupaulo
SLV (translation into Romanian FAQ)
others (coming soon)

Last edited by Administrator on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 43 times in total.
SLV

Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:55 pm